Cooking from Assam
100 gm. split black lentils (urad dal)
2 clove of garlic crushed
2 tsp. grated ginger
2 green chillies
1 tbsp. of mustard oil or refined oil
1 tsp. pas phuron*
1 tbsp. of kola khar or a pinch of sodium bicarbonate
Salt to taste
½ cup water
Coriander for garnishing (optional)
- Wash and soak black urad dal for 10 minutes. Strain and keep aside.
- In a heavy pan or a pressure cooker, heat the mustard oil. Separate 1 teaspoon of mustard oil to garnish the khar
- When the oil smokes add the pas phuron and remove the pan from the heat. Stir the pas phuron till brown.
- Add garlic and chillies and sauté for a while. If you like spicy food you may keep the chillies. Otherwise remove the chillies and keep them for garnishing.
- Add the dal and mix well.
- Return the pan or pressure cooker to the fire.
- Fry the dal for a minute and add water and salt to taste.
- Add the kola khar and cover the pan.
- When the dal is cooked remove from fire.
- Add 1 tsp of mustard oil and squeeze the ginger juice over it.
- Mix well and pour into the serving dish.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
*Pas Phuron is a mix of 5 spices: fenugreek, mustard, saunf (fennel), jeera (cumin) and kala jeera (black cumin).
Khar can also be prepared with mature, tough vegetables and even peel of cucumber and gourd because khar itself is a tenderizing agent!