Cooking from Meghalaya.
Recipe by: Edency Kharbuli. Photo Credit: Indira Kakati.
175 gm. rice
100 gm. pork – or meat of your choice
50 gm. pork liver – or the liver of the meat you are using
1” pieces of ginger finely grated paste
4 cloves of garlic finely grated or crushed
1 tsp. black pepper powdered
4 green chilies finely chopped
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
Salt to taste
2 cups of water
Coriander leaves finely chopped for garnishing.
Photo Credit: Indira Kakati.
- Wash the rice and spread it to dry off the water.
- Wash the meat and liver. Chop it into small cubes. Liquidise the liver in the grinder with ½ cup of water.
- In a heavy pan heat 1 tbsp. of Add garlic, ginger, pepper powder and green chilies and sauté for about a minute.
- Add the meat and fry for a minute. Add the liver liquid and fry further for a few seconds. Add one cup of water and salt to taste. Lower the heat and simmer the meat till half cooked.
- Remove the meat from the heat and separate the gravy
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the cooker and sauté the rice a little and remove it from the heat.
- Add the meat to the rice and mix Measure the gravy and water to 2 cups and add to the rice-meat mixture and simmer until rice is cooked. The proportion of rice to water should be 1: 2.
- Garnish the dish with finely chopped coriander and serve hot.